What is the APPA Scholarship Program?
Scholarship Program Policy
The APPA Scholarship Program was established “in order to stimulate further development in the field of facilities management and to advance the purposes of the Association,” according to APPA Bylaws.
Only persons presently employed full-time in the field of facilities management at an APPA and SRAPPA member institution are eligible.
Preference will be given to persons who plan to pursue or continue a career in facilities management and who display high motivation and leadership ability.
You can mail, email, or fax your completed and endorsed application during the month of January to Nancy Webb, VP of Long Range Planning. The applications will be reviewed and scholarships awarded at the Spring Board meeting. Once the applicant has been approved by the SRAPPA Board, you will be notified by email of the scholarship approval. At that time, APPA will also be notified that you have been approved for a scholarship.
Scholarships can only be used once a year. You will be contacted by Nancy Webb to find out which month you plan to attend. APPA will be notified at time to make sure there are no issues with your registration.
For more information about the Institute Scholarship Program and Leadership Academy Program, contact the APPA office at 1643 Prince Street Alexandria, Virginia 22314-2818. Phone: 703-684-1446. Fax: 703-549-2772. E-mail Suzanne Healy, APPA director of professional development, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact your regional representative, Nancy Webb, VP of Long-Range Planning.
Scholarship recipients will be asked to submit an essay report of their APPA Institute experiences once they have completed the program. The recipient may be asked to present the essay at the annual meeting.
The APPA Scholarship is to be awarded to a candidate after consideration of the following criteria:
1. Is an employee of an institutional member of APPA and SRAPPA.
2. Is operating at a supervisory level of management within the facilities (or equivalent) department and has potential for senior management.
3. Only one nomination per institution is permitted each year.
4. Scholarships will normally be granted to an individual only once.
5. Selection will be made by the SRAPPA board. Applications are to be lodged with the vice-president at large no later than the due date on the official application form.
The following criteria will be taken into account:
1. Preferably has or is acquiring relevant tertiary qualification.
2. Is actively involved in APPA and SRAPPA activities.
3. Has displayed an interest in the mission and workings of APPA, particularly its published technical materials.
4. Can be relied upon to acquit themselves well at the APPA Institute and SRAPPA Conference among a peer group, both in technical and personality terms.
5. Will approach an international learning experience with an open mind.
6. Plans to pursue or continue a career in facilities management and displays high motivation and leadership ability.
7. May be required to attend an interview.
Point Breakdown for Scholarships:
APPA Membership 1 pt
Years of Experience in Facilities
1 to 5 years – 1 pt
5 to 10 years – 3 pts
10 and over – 4 pts
First line supervisor – 2 pts
Assistant to the Director – 3 pts
Director – 5 pts
High School – 1 pt
2-Year College – 3 pts
Bachelor’s Degree – 5 pts
Master’s Degree – 6 pts
Doctorate – 7 pts
Size of Institution
Small <5,000 FTE 3 pts
Medium >5,000 – <15,000 FTE 2 pts
Large > 15,000 FTE – 1 pt
Article in Publication within Previous 36 Months
SRAPPA or APPA – 4 pts
Other Trade Publication – 2 pts
Personal Presentation (within 36 months)
SRAPPA or Regional Special – 3 pts
APPA – 5 pts
Every application must have a supervisor’s evaluation as well as the endorsement of an Institutional Member Representative.
The supervisor evaluation must include:
1. A fair and objective description of the applicant (including information about the applicant’s character, motivation, special talents, and leadership abilities),
2. The length of time the supervisor has known the applicant (including in what capacity the supervisor has known the applicant for the duration of the time specified), and
3. A certification that the applicant is a full-time employee of the institution.
The Supervisor’s Evaluation, as well as the endorsement and scholarship application should be sent to Nancy Webb, via:
Facility Manager, EFP
University of South Florida Polytechnic
3433 Winter Lake Rd
Lakeland, FL 33803